Whole wheat bread (400 gram) or white bread
The recipe assumes a ratio of 60% whole wheat flour and 40% plain flour. This ensures a relatively airy bread with a significant amount of semolina and bran. The ratio can be adjusted of course. The larger the amount of whole wheat flour, the heavier the bread becomes.
To bake white bread, you choose 100% plain flour. Substituting 10% whole wheat flour by 10% rye flour is also a very tasty option.
It is a good idea to make pre dough, a day before baking. This ensures the bread becomes airier and tastier.
In a bowl, combine:
- 50 ml water
- 80 g plain flour, 2 g salt stirred in
- 1 crushed up vitamin C pill
- 2 g sugar
- 2 g salt
- 2 g yeast (when fresh), 1g when dried
Knead these ingredients until it becomes dough. The easiest way is to first stir the mixture with one finger. The mixture will become viscous and one can start kneading. Knead the dough for 10 minutes. It should be stored in the fridge for a minimum of 14 and maximum of 48 hours.
Making the pre dough ensures 20% of the final dough. Now we start making the remaining 80%. One can bake the dough immediately, but it will be more dense in structure. In a bowl or the tin of the bread making machine, combine:
- 200 ml water
- 250 g whole wheat flour
- 100 g plain flour
- 6 g salt
- 3 crushed up vitamin C pills
Mix this well, then make a dent in the middle of the dough. Into this add:
- 15 g fresh or 8 g dried yeast into the dent. The older the dried yeast becomes, the more one needs.
- 8 g sugar
- Splash of olive oil (2 table spoons)
Start the bread making machine (basic programme or dough programme) or start kneading. When doing this by hand, the dough needs at least 20 minutes of thorough kneading. When doing this, pull out the dough well, so it results in a supple, elastic dough.
- After kneading, let the dough rise for 30 minutes, under a moist tea towel, in a warm spot
- Take the dough ball out of the bowl, flatten it and fold in the shape of an envelope
- Let it rise for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, grease a baking tray or use baking paper. The dough can also be put into the oven on a pizza stone. In this case, let it rise on a cutting boards and put onto the stone for baking.
- Take the dough ball out of the bowl and form it, preferably with slightly wet hands. Making a floor bread, flatten slightly and form in the shape of an envelope. Put the seal onto the tray, so no gas in the dough escapes via the seal.
- Let rise under a tea towel for 25 minutes
- Pre heat the oven to 250 degrees C
- Bake at 220 degrees C. For buns, bake 30 minutes, for a floor bread, bake 45-50 minutes. Bake the bread in the middle of the oven. Before putting it in the oven, wet the dough and put a splash of water onto the baking tray. This will prevent tears in the bread, making for an airier bread, because the final rise of the dough – which happens in the oven – will start more easily.